The Lancaster Room
The Lancaster Room is the largest of The Savoy's banqueting rooms. It has a completely clear floor space with no obscuring pillars, perfect for dancing. Uniquely for London it also has its own stage. Named after the Duchy of Lancaster, this is one of London's prime spots for grand receptions, weddings, conferences, luncheons and dances. The Lancaster Room is often used in conjunction with the adjoining Parlour Room.
Designed by René Sergeant after an 18th-century Parisian salon, the Lancaster Room officially opened in December 1910. Anna Pavlov danced here as part of the entertainments at a costume ball held a year or so later, and it soon became a venue.
The River Room
Overlooking Embankment Gardens and the Thames beyond, the River Room is very light, comfortable and warm. Combining grandeur with intimacy, it is not only perfect for private dining and special parties but also acts as a spacious and stylish reception for large events in the Lancaster Room.
In 1946, the photographs of a wedding reception held in the River Room attended by the entire Royal Family showed Princess Elizabeth seen for the first time in public with her future husband Prince Philip of Greece.
The Abraham Lincoln & Manhattan Rooms
The Edwardian-style Abraham Lincoln Room takes its name from a bust of the President that was unveiled here at a birthday dinner party in 1923. The room has all the latest presentation and video conferencing facilities and is a fine space for business luncheons, formal dinners and dinner dances.
Close by is the Art Deco Manhattan Room which is ideal as a dedicated reception room for events in the Abraham Lincoln Room. The area is served by its own lobby and cloakrooms.
This is one of the Savoy's original private dining rooms. The décor featuring wooden panelling was designed by Basil Ionides, dating from 1926. Views towards the Thames provide a distinguished setting. Pinafore is well known as the place where The Other Club' meets every other week while Parliament is in session. The club was founded by Lord Birkenhead and Winston Churchill in 1911 for unconventional figures from the world of politics and the media.
Princess Ida & Patience Room
Overlooking the Thames, this room has a double name because it was originally two separate private dining rooms when the hotel opened in 1889. The wall between the rooms was removed in 1935.
Iolanthe is elegantly panelled in light oak and suitable for dining and business meetings. It was a favourite of Winston Churchill who regularly lunched here with his Cabinet during World War II. So that he could have a nap after lunch, a bedroom at the hotel was kept on permanent standby for him. This is one of the original private rooms from when the hotel opened in 1889.
Created in 1928, Mikado retains its original décor which is appropriately themed with Japanese prints and black-edged wooden panelled walls, a reference to the Gilbert and Sullivan opera from which it takes its name.
Sorcerer is the smallest of the private dining rooms. Mirror wall panels give a comfortable impression of space and light. It is an intimate and personal space, perfect both as an office or as a reception area for Mikado to which it is connected. It was originally created in the late 1920s from rooms that had been the cigarette store.
The Venetian look and feel of the Gondoliers' luxurious surroundings and appointments afford an air of particular grandness and opulence to cocktail parties and special dining occasions. The room was created in the 1940s, with the present décor inspired by photographs taken around 1910 of the original Pinafore room.